Flying Fur, Full Skirts and Florals
New York--Themes that turn into trends are finally coming to light at the end of the fourth day of shows.
Lots of full skirts and volume, in skirts, dresses and even coats. Winter florals abound on fabrics as light as chiffon and as weighty as brocade. Fur, too, is still prevalent but mostly as accents and trim.
Mondays of Fashion Week traditionally end with Marc Jacobs. Last night's show was at the Lexington Armory with a maddeningly long wait for the 1,400 or so attending. Having to sit on hard bleacher for two hours makes everyone grumpy, and that probably included guests Uma Thurman and Beyonce.
What came down the runway was a bewildering mix of ensembles that ranged from tweed jackets paired with heavy, voluminous skirts to gigantic smock dresses that looked like floral cotton candy frocks.
Jacobs is the American designer whose touch rarely misfires and what was seen on the runway Monday night may be tweaked a touch before it reaches stores. Still, stylists were overheard saying things like, "That's a dress only for editorial," meaning it'll be borrowed for Vogue and Elle shoots but may not sell to the women who buy Marc Jacobs clothes.
Jacobs' popularity won't slide just because some of his fall looks veered far off what might have been expected by his fans. It's that unexpectedness that is part of his genius.
The PETA people and the producers of the fashion week shows now have a truce of sorts where the animal activists are given a press conference platform to talk about their distress over the use of fur in fashion if they promise to do so without disruption.
I've been wearing a vintage boucle coat with fur cuffs and collar in New York. I never much liked fur, but I loved the vintage styling of this coat and brought it from San Jose anticipating colder temperatures. When I saw the PETA posters near the entrance to the Marc Jacobs show, I have to admit I was a little uneasy.
But I didn't hear taunts and I never felt threatened as someone handed me a flyer and I passed by a video showing the clubbing of baby seals. Rather than defiance, my usual reaction to something political that's forced upon me, I read the entire flyer. I'll remember the catch phrase: "Don't let the cold penetrate your heart. Reject fur and fur trim."
I'm trying justify my mixed feelings by telling myself the coat is at least 40 years old and that mink would have been dead a long time ago.
Lots of full skirts and volume, in skirts, dresses and even coats. Winter florals abound on fabrics as light as chiffon and as weighty as brocade. Fur, too, is still prevalent but mostly as accents and trim.
Mondays of Fashion Week traditionally end with Marc Jacobs. Last night's show was at the Lexington Armory with a maddeningly long wait for the 1,400 or so attending. Having to sit on hard bleacher for two hours makes everyone grumpy, and that probably included guests Uma Thurman and Beyonce.
What came down the runway was a bewildering mix of ensembles that ranged from tweed jackets paired with heavy, voluminous skirts to gigantic smock dresses that looked like floral cotton candy frocks.
Jacobs is the American designer whose touch rarely misfires and what was seen on the runway Monday night may be tweaked a touch before it reaches stores. Still, stylists were overheard saying things like, "That's a dress only for editorial," meaning it'll be borrowed for Vogue and Elle shoots but may not sell to the women who buy Marc Jacobs clothes.
Jacobs' popularity won't slide just because some of his fall looks veered far off what might have been expected by his fans. It's that unexpectedness that is part of his genius.
The PETA people and the producers of the fashion week shows now have a truce of sorts where the animal activists are given a press conference platform to talk about their distress over the use of fur in fashion if they promise to do so without disruption.
I've been wearing a vintage boucle coat with fur cuffs and collar in New York. I never much liked fur, but I loved the vintage styling of this coat and brought it from San Jose anticipating colder temperatures. When I saw the PETA posters near the entrance to the Marc Jacobs show, I have to admit I was a little uneasy.
But I didn't hear taunts and I never felt threatened as someone handed me a flyer and I passed by a video showing the clubbing of baby seals. Rather than defiance, my usual reaction to something political that's forced upon me, I read the entire flyer. I'll remember the catch phrase: "Don't let the cold penetrate your heart. Reject fur and fur trim."
I'm trying justify my mixed feelings by telling myself the coat is at least 40 years old and that mink would have been dead a long time ago.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home